The one body part often neglected by most of the people is ankles. Yes, ankles need proper exercise just like for any other body part.
My personal story, “I had left ankle fracture 2 years ago. Just to land my feet on the floor it took me 6 months. It was so major that doctors said if we operate it will paralyze my legs forever so they kept plaster of paris to my left leg I started yoga to recover my ankle and now I could walk with out support”.
Ankles are the ones which bear the weight of the body.
It’s very important to take proper care about ankle joints. If you have ankle joint pains, it will affect knee joints too.
Some prefer walking as part of the exercise to get flexibility in ankle joints. Yes it is good but wait!! What if, if you had terrible pain on knee joints and ankles joints???Obviously you can’t go for walking.
So, what to do?
Here is the simple yoga poses that helps you to get rid of ankle joint pains. These yoga poses gives flexibility and strength to ankle joints.
Benefits of the Ankle rotation:
- To strengthen joints, this ankle rotation helps a lot.
- It helps in increasing blood flow through your legs and feet.
- It improves flexibility and strength in ankles that you can walk longer distances.
- By daily practicing this ankle rotation yoga, your ankles will be less prone to injuries due to sprains.
- It helps in giving relief from arthritis if properly done along with other yoga sequence I mentioned.
If you are suffering from severe lower back pain and knee joints pain, start from this Ankle rotation asana and follow sequentially.
If you had a spinal cord injury then start from here.
Follow Proper Timings:
Before starting the yoga, it is highly advisable to fix the timings. I mean, at what time you want to do daily. The best time could be in early morning. I do from 7 to 8:15 daily. You can choose your convenient time.
If you want to start practicing in the morning, it is highly recommended to wash mouth and face.
Get the yoga mat and sit on it by resting your hands on back just like in the below image.
First Image: Ref
I will discuss two variations.
one is feet flexing up and down and
second is Ankle rotation.
1. Feet flexing up and down
- Set the legs little apart and straight.like in the first image.
- Flex your leg foot up and down.Inhaling, flex leg foot up and exhaling foot down. Repeat this for 10 times.
- No, flex your right foot up and down. Inhaling, flex leg foot up and exhaling foot down. Repeat this for 10 times.
- Do with both foot. flex up and flex down.
2. Ankle Rotation
- Sitting in the same position….
- Now, Rotate your feet clockwise and anti-clockwise, with the heels touching the floor.
- Concentrate on your ankle movement whether they are moving in a correct direction or not.
- Rotate both your ankles ten times – first clockwise and then anti-clockwise.
- Remain attentive of the ankles.
- Keep your body straight and erect.
- Do not allow the knees to be stirred.
- Breath easy and natural.
- Practice this for ten times. Count mentally while doing so. After that..
- Relax, Take deep breathings.
Breathing pattern: Inhale on the upward movement.
Exhale on the downward movement.
Note: If you feel any discomfort while doing so, lie down for few minutes. Don’t over strain. Do relaxly and peacefully.
If you have any doubts while performing any asana, please leave a comment below or you can always contact me. If you find it helpful please share with your friends. Stay healthy 🙂